Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Holla at ya from Rome!

Here I am at the Coliseum.

 
Carl dropped me off at LAX really early because the President was supposed to arrive at 1:30 and I didn’t want to get stuck in traffic.  I met up with the other 35 people at the airport and we all sat together in the back of the airplane, on Alitalia. I met my roomy, Kathy, we sat together on the plane and have been hanging out together. She’s great!
We arrived at Da Vinci Airport on Monday around noon. It was a tough flight, wasn’t able to sleep at all. Our tour guide was there to meet us with a large bus, gathered our luggage and took us all to our hotel in Rome.  After settling into our rooms, we all met in the lobby and walked a few blocks for dinner.
The restaurant was waiting for us with the meal all planned out. We were served meats, cheeses as appetizers, pasta, veal and artichokes. It was all delicious. After dinner we all walked back to the hotel and went to bed.
The morning alarm rang at 7:30 am, we got ready, met for breakfast at the hotel dining room, ate, then boarded the bus at 8:30.  We went to the Coliseum and walked around it and inside it. We took the bus back to the hotel and had lunch at a little pizza place across from our hotel. At 2:30 pm we boarded the bus and drove to Ostia, the original Roman port, an ancient ruin that has been recently excavated.
I’m still not adjusted to the time change, but not too bad. Tomorrow we are going to the Vatican and will see the Pope. Then in the afternoon we’re going on another tour the Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon.
I had my first Gelato in Italy today, it was coffee flavored, so light and creamy. I ate a whole pizza for lunch. I’ll probably pass on dinner tonight as we are on our own for dinner.
I pay for the internet for a 24 hour session in the room, so I may write again tomorrow evening before it expires, if not, then I’ll go online at our next destination, Sorrento.
I am having a great time, have not been approached by any pickpockets or gypsies. There is so much to see and it’s great having a tour guide because he explains it all and tells so much history.
Today is Tuesday (Rome time) 7:15 P.M.

Funny! we wear name tags, so we can get to know everyone. We also have headsets to hear our tour guide, which really works well, he doesn't have to yell at 35 people.  I had a great dinner tonight with Kathy, Duane and Suzanne McKinney and Andy and Sue Brizio. It was great to catch up with those guys.
I'm having lots of fun so far. Carl everyone keeps asking where you are....

Love Kathy


1 comment:

Shannon Olson said...

Great! Looks like you are having a fun time, one suggestion would be to smile in the pictures! Love you!