Monday, March 8, 2010

The Lemon Tart

A few years ago I bought this Luscious Lemon Desserts book, because I have a lemon tree that produces enough lemons to have my own "Hot Dog on a Stick" stand. (You probably need to be American to understand that connection).

Lemons are ripe for the picking now so I decided to make something from the book. How about the cover picture tart?? Sure. First I need a tart pan; this special pan, that the bottom comes off.

So yesterday, Sunday, Carl and I took a drive to Bass Pro Shop to buy some rain coats for our Alaska cruise in September. We figured that we should get them now because no stores sell coats during the summer in California. Since we were all the way east and near Victoria Gardens I decided to run in to Crate and Barrel and buy myself a tart pan. No problem, in and out in less that 5 minutes. We stopped by the market on the way home so I could get Whipping Cream and Unsalted Butter for the recipe.

Today I decided to tackle to project. I went outside and picked Valencia juice oranges and naval oranges and juiced a full pitcher of OJ. I enjoyed a full glass of fresh squeezed orange juice while I was squeezing. Then picked lemons and squeezed a full cup of juice for the tart and zested 4 lemons to make 2 Tablespoons for the tart. I noticed as I read the recipe that it called for an 11" Tart pan, the one I bought was 9.5". Hummmmm, now what??

I will just put less stuff into the pan. The crust is made of butter, zest and sugar, just like a shortbread cookie. The lemon tart is sort of like a firm pudding, very tangy and sour. It cracked because I took it out of the pan too soon. It's really good, Carl loved it.



Lili was being a pill, she thinks that as long as I'm in the kitchen she should be given treats, one after the next. I threw her ass out into the rain for a bit.


There it is! The lemon tart, with the Liberty Bell crack.


Looks just like the book cover, right?

Well I've had my quota of citrus today and will probably need to take an antacid before bed. Now I need to find an 11" tart pan, and another recipe that fits a 9.5" pan.
Yummy!

3 comments:

Lacey D said...

That looks soooo yummy! Lemon desserts are the best. I was cracking up at the picture of bad Lili girl on time out, reminds me of a kid.

Anna said...

The Olson girls must be top notch material - both of you are baking away. I've been trying to break out the cook books, but I am too scared to try all the hard things! I did make a Mederia cake though, with lemons, it was yummy. Let me know if you want the recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

You 2 Olson's sure are great in the kitchen!! Not to mention others in the family too!!

YUMMO!!

I have started a reply email - just need enough time to finish it. We are soooo looking forward to our trip, 4 months to go now :o)

Take care
Mel