Saturday, February 13, 2010

50th Winternationals - Part II

It's Saturday at Pomona Raceway. I went directly to the Golden 50 Corral where they parked all of the nostalgia racecars. Each day between 11:00 am and around 1:00 pm drivers from the early days signed posters for the fans. People lined up starting at 9:00 am and as soon as they started the signature session at 11:00 the end of the line was established. Anyone who showed up after 11:00 attempting to get to the back of the line was turned away. There had to be at least 30 drivers signing autographs for 2 hours straight. The likes of Joe Amato, Joe Mondello, Shirley Muldowney, Carl, Tommy Ivo, Gary Beck, Roland Leong, Don Garlits, and many more.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get a poster signed too.

This is Teresa, National Dragster Photo Editor and Photographer and also our neighbor and walking buddy.


Here I am, getting in the way, as usual.


Video


I went walking around the "Golden Corral" to see some of the restored and original race cars.


If you click on any of these pictures, you will see everything up close and personal. Then back arrow to go where you were.






Don Prudhomme's restored rig and car.


On stage was an Acapella group from the military.




Video
Video

Carl with his good friend Shirley Muldowney.


Carl and Roland Leong busy at work signing autographs.


Cynthia and John, it is his birthday today.
The pro session was starting right away so Carl and I hurried over to the stands to watch. I even videod one run.

The Kuhl and Olson car from the rear. That is Kjell Pettersson talking on the phone to Sweden.


I finally had enough, it was really hot, around 85 which is a shock to the system after having such cold weather. I started melting around 3:00 and decided to go home. On my way out of the track I took some pictures of the John Force cars. This is Ashley Force's car.


This is John Force's car.

Here is Robert Height's car.

Tomorrow I will be heading out to the track again for more fun, this time I'm wearing a big sunhat. Stay tuned for part III.
Kathy

2 comments:

beeswax said...

I assume someone is looking at my blog, but just not commenting.
If no-one is looking .... Why blog?

Bart Grudge said...

Kathy,

How'd you know I was looking at your blog? I just stumbled over the margarita party a few days ago, and came back tonight to find the three-part serial coverage of your weekend at the Winters. Love the old stuff...and I don't mean Carl!

And you don't need the comments of anonymous trolls to validate your words; you blog to fulfill your need for self-expression. Or something. Don't stop! -- BG