Sunday, October 18, 2009

California Hot Rod Reunion 2009

I decided to attend the California Hot Rod Reunion, one more time, with Carl. Besides all of the usual fun I have there, I thought that I would help Shannon by selling copies of her art and promote her art business by giving out flyers for her commissioned art.
Here is a sample of her drawing of Art Chrisman and the Hustler I. Finally Art came over and signed a few copies, and they sold right away.

Kuhl and Olson have a fan base and their posters sold with signatures, of course.

On Friday evening, the CHRR holds its annual Awards Celebration, where the Honorees are presented a Wally trophy and a portrait by "Shannon Olson". I was told to pass on thank you's to her by many.

Above is Walt Stevens. And below is Steve Reyes, famous racing photographer.

Below is Grand Marshall, Jess Tyree, a very nice man.

Below is Danny "Buzz" Broussard, who happens to be a great guy. Very nice.

Below is Jet Car Bob Smith.

After the awards, a couple of race cars were fired up in the Double Tree Hotel parking lot, which happened to be jam packed with people. It was a night of good friends getting together and reminiscing about old times. Some of the stories are unbelievable, but true. Here are Gary Cochran, Mike Kuhl, Carl Olson and Frank Bradley talking about the time Mike threw an M-80 over the fence at Fremont Drag Strip at Frank, who then pulled out a gun and fired at Mike and Carl as they sped away. Oh sure, they can all laugh about it now.

Old friends......

The tailgate of Mikes race car trailer.

Matt and his buddies running their new/old funnycar for the first time.

Art Chrisman's Hustler I, stripped down bare and ready to be repainted.

The Green Monster, newly restored by Art Chrisman.

Don Garlits and Sunny Messner working on the Swamp Rat V.

Here is Don Garlits.

Beebee and Mulligan, John Weibe, Kuhl and Olson cars.

Dragster noses.

It was hot! I was hot! I had a good time hanging out with the guys. I saw so many old friends.

Then it was time for me to go. I heard that Pete was going home at 5, so I called him and bummed a ride out of there early. Carl and the rest of the Cacklefest 80+ cars stayed until the very end, which was after 10:30 at night. I was home and in bed by 9:30, he didn't get home until after 1 am. Good for me.

No comments: